1. It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria.
2. She stands up in the garden where she has been working and looks into the distance.
3. It all began with a glance, a glance that grew into desire, as the ship pushed its way against the calm, strong current at the end of the flood season.
4. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
5. Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith.
6. Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.
7. Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
8. It's hard being left behind.
9. In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
10. It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting alone in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind.