1. She is plucking her bird of paradise of its dead branches, leaning around the plant every time she hears a car.
2. By ten-fourty-five it was all over.
3. I first heard of Antonia on what seemed to me an interminable journey across the great midland plain of North America.
4. My name is Boris Balkan and I once translated The Charterhouse of Parma.
5. It's true; Tsugumi really was an unpleasant young woman.
6. The old aunts lounge in the white wicker armchairs, flipping open their fans, snapping them shut.
7. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
8. They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname.
9. Celia del Pino, equipped with binoculars and wearing her best housedress and drop pearl earrings, sits in her wicker swing guarding the north coast of Cuba.
10. In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.