The Book Meme
Post the first sentences from ten of your favorite books and have your friends guess what they are from.
1. It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
2. My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
3. On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide - it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese - the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope.
4. In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
5. All children, except one, grow up.
6. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.
7. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
8. In the town there were two mutes, and they were always together.
9. All happy families are like one another; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
10. There are still the flowers to buy.
OK, so some are more obvious than others...